Monday, November 2, 2009

Mo Ghile Mear - A Jacobite Song

Sé mo laoch mo Ghile Mear
‘Sé mo Chaesar, Ghile Mear,
Suan ná séan ní bhfuaireas féin
Ó chuaigh i gcéin mo Ghile Mear.

He's my champion my Gallant Darling, he's my Caesar, a Gallant Darling, I've found neither rest nor fortune since my Gallant Darling went far away.

Bímse buan ar buairt gach ló,
Ag caoi go cruaidh ‘s ag tuar na ndeór
Mar scaoileadh uaim an buachaill beó
‘S ná ríomhtar tuairisc uaidh, mo bhrón.

Every day I'm constantly enduring grief,weeping bitterly and shedding tears,because my lively lad has left me and no news is told of him - alas (my sorrow!).

Ni haoibhinn cuach ba suairc ar ndeoin
Taid fiorchaoin uasal ar uaithne sport,
Taid saoite suaite i mhuairt 's i mbron
O scaoileadh uainn an buachaill beo.

The cuckoo sings not pleasantly at noon, the gentry do not enjoy their sport, the wise and learned are in sorrow and mourning, Since he went away from me, my lively boy

writen by the 18th century poet Sean Clarach MacDomhnail. It is one of many Irish Jacobite songs written in honour of Prince Charles Stewart, who was known as "Bonnie Prince Charlie".

No comments: